Hi Jessica

I am a library student currently working on a similar topic "Art book
Publishing."  The major publishers that I have established are as follows:

Harry N. Abrams (US but owned by Editions de la Martiniere, France)
Phaidon (UK)
Prestel (Germany)
Taschen (Germany)
Thames and Hudson (UK - Norton US)
Princeton University Press
Yale University Press

Some of the above a more general publishers and others specialize. The
above publishers focus on art history as opposed to "how to" type art
books.  Another area of art publishing is through museums, ie MOMA.

Email me off list if you have more questions.