The "roughness" of your message, Trudy? Not at all; I think it was an
eloquent, gentle and informative reminder.  Best, Rosemary.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacoby, Trudy [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: March 22, 2001 5:17 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: fiscal aspect of handbook and membership

I would like to say a few words about the membership directory, from the
viewpoint of Treasurer.

I think all of the comments about what indexes are useful are terrific and I
am sure they will be taken under consideration.  The corrections the members
send in are crucial to the accuracy of the information.  I know our new
headquarters staff are collecting these for updating entries. However, I am
not at all sure we can expect our headquarters staff to recognize "known"
members or make decisions about who stays in if they have not paid dues and
who is omitted from the handbook if they are not current paid members.

I believe that the entry in the handbook is extremely important to each of
us and is one of the reasons we pay our membership dues.  Listing in the
handbook is one of the benefits of your paid membership. Renewal notices
normally go out in late autumn and members have until March 1 (I think) to
send in renewal forms (and be included in the handbook), giving a period of
roughly 3-4 months to send in renewals.  I suspect that renewals paid up
until the time the handbook goes to production are included whenever
possible.

You may not realize that your membership dues are the main source of income
for the operations of the Society.  Much careful planning goes into writing
budgets and managing cashflows in order to provide services, produce
publications and pay our bills in a timely manner.  You will be hearing the
financial reports for this year in Los Angeles.  In the meantime,  I wish I
could tell you all that ARLIS/NA has enormous cash resources to cover all
cash flow contingencies, but that is not true. Nor would it be wise to
remove assets from our investment accounts on a regular basis to cover
cashflow problems caused by late payment of dues.  Thus, I believe that 3-4
months should be an adequate time frame for renewal payments.

So-in closing-the handbook is one of our highly valued publications, in some
ways one of our most constantly useful.  Everyone involved is striving to
make it as accurate and useful as possible.

This is just the viewpoint of your Treasurer for you all to consider.
(Also, please consider this a reminder to check that you have renewed your
membership for 2001!!!).  Please forgive the roughness of this quickly
written reply.

I look forward to seeing many of you in Los Angeles next week!!

Trudy

Trudy Jacoby
Treasurer, ARLIS/NA

Curator, Curricular Resources Collections
Trinity College, Hallden Hall, Hartford, CT