The Convocation at the Getty is certainly going to be one of the
highlights of our conference.  The grounds are beautiful and there are
spectacular views in every direction.  On a clear day you can see
Catalina Island!  Our keynote speaker is Professor Henry Hopkins, UCLA
Art Department, a well-known proponent of and participant in the
California contemporary art scene for over 40 years and I'm assured he
will be entertaining.  There are a few things you need to know before
you get there, so please read the following very carefully:

Everyone must have a ticket to the Convocation in order to board the
bus at the hotel, and everyone must also wear her/his conference
registration badge for the entire event.  These will be in the
registration packet you receive when you arrive at the Wilshire Grand
Hotel--so (even if you are not staying at the Hotel), be sure to pick
up your registration materials at the hotel well in advance of the
Convocation!  Buses will start leaving the hotel for the Getty at 3
p.m. and the last bus will leave the hotel at 4 p.m.  The Getty
Research Library is hosting an open house, which will include tours,
from 4-6 p.m.  You may choose to visit the museum galleries during that
time, but the galleries will also be re-opened after the program from
7:30-9:30 p.m.  The Convocation program will start promptly in the
Auditorium at 6 p.m. and will run until 7:30 p.m., after which a buffet
reception will be held in the Museum Rotunda.  If you choose to visit
the galleries during the reception, free audiocassette guides will be
available.  No food or drink is allowed in the galleries.  Buses will
start to return to the hotel at 9 p.m. and the last bus will leave the
Getty for the hotel at 10 p.m.

The Convocation is completely booked at this time.  If you are a ticket
holder and are unable to attend we ask that you turn in your ticket to
the registration desk so that it may be given to someone on the waiting
list.

If you are unable to attend the Convocation and wish to visit the Getty
Research Library and Museum, you are welcome to visit when the Getty is
open to the public. Call 1.310.440.7390 to make a reservation at the
Getty Research Library. Additional information is on the Getty website
at www.getty.edu.

For more on 2001: An LA Odyssey check out the website:
http://arlis2001.ucsd.edu/

Dawn Henney
Publicity, ARLIS/NA 2001 Conference