I think that Janine has a real winner of an idea here.  There should be an institution in every conference site that is within an easy commute that could volunteer space for a tour and a business meeting.  This would certainly cut down on the number of hotel rooms needed for meetings, with the added benefit of being able to see a library like yours!  This would certainly be worth a try.

Pat Lynagh
Reference Librarian
NMAA/NPG Library
8th and G St. NW
Washington, DC  20560-0215
ph. 202.357.1886
fax 202.786.2583
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
   /\   /\
    o   o
==  X ==

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/07 2:17 PM >>>
Heather et al,

I really like the idea of touring a library, then ending up with a
discussion!  This idea could also be adapted for/adopted by museum
librarians, academic librarians, architecture librarians, design school
librarians, special collection librarians, etc.!

Best,

Janine Henri

>     I can understand the challenges of finding times & space for all
>the meetings. (It seems to me that the PL Division is hardly what one
>would call a "splinter group". Our attendendance and participation might
>be small, but I think that has to do with the financial situation at
>many PLs.)  The trouble with having our discussion in a restaurant/bar
>setting is, for me, an element of distraction.  At its best, a
>discussion group becomes a creative  dialogue, sparking ideas. For me,
>that means an environment conducive to attentive listening. I was a
>first-time attendee to an ARLIS conference last year, and found that
>time to be perhaps the MOST rewarding aspect of the conference.  The
>other offerings were wonderful too, but the PL sessions gave me a sense
>of what others are doing, challenges we share, and possible
>solutions/approaches. It motivated me to attend this year, which, thanks
>to new management at our library, I'll be able to do! With the tours of
>the 4 PLs in LA, I have no doubt we'll have a good chance to "chaw".
>    How's this for an idea: future PL business meeting and discussions
>can be scheduled at a public library meeting area in the host city.
>Perhaps the host city PL can offer a 1/2 hour tour to the PL division
>members before or after the meetings. Maybe a box lunch could be
>included for a fee.
>    As for Jeffrey's continuing to serve us? Wonderful idea! I'm so
>grateful he is willing to accept the responsibility and thank him for
>his past service as well.
>
>Heather Brodhead, Librarian
>Music & Art Department
>Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh