Here is a summary of the responses received to my February 8, 2001 query
about Space Standards for Art/Design Studio Work in Art & Design Schools and
Colleges/Universities with art/design programs.

 I asked....

 "...are there any standards or guidelines for space planning re: teaching
studios and work areas for artists/designers in particular disciplines."

 -------------

 Response #1 - from an Art College
"I just queried via e-mail our Studio Art faculty members and have gotten
two immediate responses: one from the chair, 'I'm not aware that any such
standards exist.' and the other from the architectural design instructor,
'This is what we need!'"

Response #2 - from an Art & Architecture Library within a University
"We have a 1979 edition of Human Dimension and Interior Space: A Source Book
of Design Reference Standards by Julius Panero, Martin Zelnik. Amazon.com
shows (Hardcover - December 1989) for $31.96. In the 1979 ed. there are
drawings from 'Work and Craft Centers,' which include painting workstations
w/easels, drafting workstations w/tables, high and low workbenches, etc.
This sounds like part of what you're looking for. (The new edition might
have more detail and more types of workstations.) Note: The same drawings
and numbers are in the 1995 ed. of 'Time-Saver Standards for Housing and
Residential Development,' by the same authors."

Response #3 - from an architecture librarian within a University Library
"Studio facility standards are indeed difficult to come by. Architect's Data
by Ernst Neufert contains a small section on Schools of Art, Design etc. in
which dimensions for a kiln, potter's wheel, drafting table, etc. are
given.......I've checked all our other graphic standard books and there's
little else. One book gives examples of what might be in an arts and craft
area, in  a recreation centre for example, but doesn't give dimensions for
the space or furnishings. You'd probably need to search for examples of such
facilities and have a look at their floor plans from which you could surmise
the scale."

 Thanks to all who replied.

 Jill Patrick
 Director of Library Services