Dear Patrice:  At our museum these tasks are assumed by the Rights and
Reproductions- and Registrar departments.  Rights and Reproductions
always requests from the publisher a copy of any publication which uses
one of our images.  When the publication arrives it is forwarded to the
Registrar department, where photocopies of the pertinent pages (image
and title pages) are made and inserted in the museum's "master file" for
that piece of art.  Then the publication is forwarded (sometimes with an
explanatory note, sometimes as a "mystery book"!) to the Library.  The
Library only catalogues the publication if it is relevant to the
Library's collecting interests (otherwise we'd end up with myriad
physics and mathematics textbooks with  Rene Magritte paintings on their
covers).

Speaking of which (and I apologize for using the listserv for this)
how's the Art Center's stock of Magritte exhibition catalogs for the
1964 show which Mrs. de Menil organized for you folks?  Let me know if
your store etc. needs more...

Phil Heagy
Menil Collection Library
1511 Branard St. Houston, TX 77006