     I can understand the challenges of finding times & space for all
the meetings. (It seems to me that the PL Division is hardly what one
would call a "splinter group". Our attendendance and participation might
be small, but I think that has to do with the financial situation at
many PLs.)  The trouble with having our discussion in a restaurant/bar
setting is, for me, an element of distraction.  At its best, a
discussion group becomes a creative  dialogue, sparking ideas. For me,
that means an environment conducive to attentive listening. I was a
first-time attendee to an ARLIS conference last year, and found that
time to be perhaps the MOST rewarding aspect of the conference.  The
other offerings were wonderful too, but the PL sessions gave me a sense
of what others are doing, challenges we share, and possible
solutions/approaches. It motivated me to attend this year, which, thanks
to new management at our library, I'll be able to do! With the tours of
the 4 PLs in LA, I have no doubt we'll have a good chance to "chaw".
    How's this for an idea: future PL business meeting and discussions
can be scheduled at a public library meeting area in the host city.
Perhaps the host city PL can offer a 1/2 hour tour to the PL division
members before or after the meetings. Maybe a box lunch could be
included for a fee.
    As for Jeffrey's continuing to serve us? Wonderful idea! I'm so
grateful he is willing to accept the responsibility and thank him for
his past service as well.

Heather Brodhead, Librarian
Music & Art Department
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh