Ted:  Thanks so much for letting us members know of Halina's death.  I have
appealed
to the some members in the recent past that we carefully inform ARLIS/NA
members of
the death of our colleagues.  Many professional organizations regularly publish
obituaries, some organizations write lengthy articles about the person's
professional
accomplishments and publications.  This is something that I think ARLIS/NA
is ready
to and should be doing.  We should be proud to inform our colleagues of each
other's
professional and life-time accomplishments in our field.  We meet as a society
only
once a year and while we get to know each other, we don't get to know our
career
stories.  It is a way to honor the individual, inform Society members, and
create
documentation of our Society.

Ray Anne Lockard

Edward Goodman wrote:

> Dear ARLIS/NA Members,
> Former President Janis Ekdahl and I were surprised and dismayed to learn
> that Halina Rusak died last Sept. 14. As a long-time member of ARLIS/NA
> and ARLIS/NJ, she was known to many of our membership and will be missed.
>
> A memorial retrospective of her artwork can be viewed at Soho20 Gallery in
> NYC through Jan. 27.
>
> I am attaching an obituary which was written for UPDATE but which we never
> received.
>
> Ted Goodman
> ARLIS/NA V-Pres/Pres.-elect

> Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:23:43 -0800
> From: Maya Gervits <[log in to unmask]>
> ---------------------------------------
> "With great sadness we inform our colleagues that Halina Rusak, the head
> of the Art Library at Rutgers University, passed away on September 14th,
> 2000.
>
> Halina worked at Rutgers for 46 years, the last 20 at the Art Library.
> Born in Belarus, Halina came to the US after World War II . She
> graduated from Douglass College in 1954, majoring in French. She
> graduated from Rutgers University with an MLS (1954) and an MA in art
> (1976). One of her important achievements at Rutgers was overseeing the
> construction of the new building for the Art Library.
>
> Halina will be remembered not only as a librarian, but also as an artist
> and a scholar. Her paintings and graphic works were exhibited in
> numerous galleries in the US and abroad. Her books "Abstract
> expressionist women painters: bibliography" (coauthored), "Art and
> Architecture of the Polacak Principality" (unfinished),  and her
> articles, especially her recent ones  on St. Euphrosenia,  are valuable
> resources for scholars. For many years Halina was affiliated with
> ARLIS/NA, holding positions of Vice Chair (1983-1985) and then President
> (1985-1986) of the New Jersey Chapter.
>
> She will be missed greatly by the many people who knew her and admired
> her work.
>
> [This notice was prepared by Halina's colleagues Maya Gervits and Ferris
> Olin.]

Ray Anne Lockard, Head Librarian
Frick Fine Arts Library
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Voice:  412-648-2411
Fax:  412-648-7568
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

"A book should be a ball of light in one's hands."
Ezra Pound