alex ross wrote:

> Colleagues,
> Does anyone remember a discussion on ARLIS-L recently (i.e., in the past
> year) about dual master's programs that confer degrees in both art history
> and library/information science?  I seem to recall that a list of several
> institutions offering that kind of program was developed, and I thought at
> the time that I'd better make a note of them for the next time someone
> asked *me* that question, but of course I didn't (an old story).  All I can
> remember from the list is the well-known Univ of Indiana program.  I tried
> searching the ARLIS-L archive but had no luck locating the exchange of
> e-mail.  Can anyone remember it (or give me another source for the info)?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

> (650) 725-1037

Indiana and Pratt come to mind; and you might want to check with Arizona
(I think it was Arizona) as well, because the latter institution allows
for "general dual degrees" on approval from their LIS dept. (E.L.I.S.E.
reports for LIS education keep this kind of information about LIS
degrees in their big yearly survey.)

In theory, a larger number of LIS Schools should be curious and helpful;
a develped "programme" for dual degrees might not be as necessary as it
first appears.

The problem is really trying to find the right Art History MA or PhD
programme -- they are much harder to get into than Library Schools, and
also tend to require something of the old mentorial system (a prof wants
to work with you, e.g.)  Patching the LIS degree on afterwards might be
easier than attempting dual degrees? Hard to say.

G. Ditchburn