Dear colleagues, both cataloger and not --

About a year ago, LC proposed some revisions to art subject headings
to bring them more in line with other subject areas. The revised
memos from the SUBJECT CATALOGING MANUAL: SUBJECT HEADINGS are now
available on the web and they will be issued in the first 2001 update
of SCM:SH.

If you would like to see the revisions now, you can go to
http://lcweb.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/artcat.html which is a cover sheet
for PDF files of revised H1148 and H1250. I happen to have these two
documents in word processing as well if you have trouble with PDF or
Adobe Acrobat (just send an email request -- Word 97 or WordPerfect
-- and I'll attach -- or I'll mail you a printout if you send me a
street address).

Several of us have been involved with the planning for a subject
cataloging workshop at the LA conference where we'll be discussing
the revised subject headings, along with subject analysis,
classification issues, etc. The particular emphasis of the workshop
is the librarian who has responsibility for cataloging but isn't JUST
a cataloger. We will also be discussing the revised headings at CPDG
and probably in the hallways and at the receptions.

If you have questions, I'd be happy to try to answer or you might ask
the list if appropriate.

Sherman Clarke
NYU Libraries