Since I received a request to summarize the responses I received  regarding
what to do with old Benezits and post it to the list, here it is:  (Some
all pertinent ones here)

*       The older Benezits are de-reffed (removed from the active reference
collection)  and kept in the stacks as non-circulating books because the
earlier editions apparently include artists that are not listed in later
editions but are sometimes cited in older publications

*       Keep all your old Benezit editions, new data complete old editions
and are not necessarily the same

*       The new edition is a revision with the information in the earlier
one subsumed in the text

*       Keep all the old editions of Benezit  because in the arts &
humanities new research proceeds form previous research

*       The old 10 volume set was offered to the curatorial department  who
were delighted to have it for quick reference- they know the new edition is
in the library  (about 6 other libraries responded that they  gave the old
Beneziet to other departments within the Museum)

 There seems to be difference in opinion about whether all the data from
older editions was  indeed kept in newer  editions.  Only the publisher can
truly answer that question- but the general consensus is that the material
is indeed different  and older editions continue to have research value.  We
ended up giving the old 10 volume set to our Prints Department who were
delighted to get it as a quick reference, knowing the current edition is in
the library (we now have 4 sets of Benezit in the Museum).  That solution
solved the library's space problem and kept the set within the Museum for
future reference.

Thank you to everyone who replied .

Debby Aframe
Worcester Art Museum