Dear Cleo Wilkinson:
    Here are a few more references to the use of color in ancient sculpture
and architectural sculpture:

Boardman, John.  "Greek sculpture: the archaic period," (Oxford University
Press, 1978),
        on p.80 discusses the use of color  very briefly.
Ashmole, Sir Bernard.  "Architect and sculptor in Classical Greece," (New York
               University Press, 1972) discusses the use of color at many
points throughout
        his book, describing how a Greek observor would have perceived
        the sculpture in part due to the use of color.
and for a somewhat older source, there is a 1950 Columbia University
dissertation by
        Penelope Dimitriou entitled "The Polychromy of Greek sculpture: to the
                beginnings of the Hellenistic period."  It is listed in
"Dissertation Abstracts"
               with an accession number of AAG0002105.

     The periodical literature may well have many more resources on the
question of color in ancient sculpture.  One key to that literature is in
the German Archaeological Institute's "Archaologische Bibliographie," in
its print version through 1993, and now in CD-ROM format via Dyabola
software published by Biering und Brinkmann.

                                        Eileen Markson

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>We are trying to find papers,research,books that discuss the use of
>color in ancient roman , greek  et al ... statues according to history
>records most statues were not white as we  see them today but painted
>.We are finding it very difficult to find any texts that discuss this
>aspect of ancient sculpture.Apparently temples were also painted.
>Can anyone help us  - we would greatly appreciate any leads to finding
>out more about tis intriguing subject.
>
>Many, many thanks in advance
>
>Cleo
>
>--
>Cleo Wilkinson
>Librarian
>Sullivan Nicolaides Pathology
>Po Box 344
>Indooroopilly
>QLD 4068
>AUSTRALIA
>
>PH : 61 7 3377 8525
>FX : 61 7 3377 8737
>
>email : [log in to unmask]
>

>"When people are free to do as they please ,they imitate each other "
>ERIC HOFFER

Eileen Markson
Head, Rhys Carpenter Library
     for Art, Archaeology, and Cities