Dear Tom,

I forwarded your query to our Head Childrens Librarian. She recommended the
following titles that we have in our collection (the annotations and grade
levels are my own):

Gibbons, Gail. THE ART BOX. New York: Holiday House, 1998.
A great introduction to basic art tools and color blending with charming
color drawings throughout. Grades K-3.

King, Penny and Clare Roundhill. ANIMALS. (plus others in the "Artists'
workshop" series). London: A & C Black Ltd., 1996.
Each book in the series picks different theme: discussing how that theme has
been represented by artists throughout history, then giving suggestions for
projects using different art media. Grades 2-8.

Yenawine, Philip. KEY ART TERMS FOR BEGINNERS. New York: Harry N. Abrams,
Inc., 1995.
An illustrated dictionary of art terms with thorough, yet easy to comprehend
definitions of styles, concepts, and media. Illustrated with numerous color
as well as B&W photographs of artworks of most eras and cultures. Grades
7-12.

Davidson, Rosemary. TAKE A LOOK: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE EXPERIENCE OF ART.
New York: Penguin Books, 1994.
An Art Apreciation textbook, of sorts, starting with the simple issues like
"What's Art For?" and moving onto more complex issues like comparing
artworks. Nice illustrative reproductions of masterworks of various periods
(but mostly Western). Grades 7-12.

Debbie Barlow
Reference Supervisor
Howard County Library