The Grand Opening of the Billie Jane Baguley Library and Archives was an enormous success.  I received numerous telephone calls and countless compliments in person expressing congratulations and awe on a job and event well done.

The program on Saturday was especially "grand."  Two very high points of the program were the reading of the original poem by Nora Naranjo-Morse and the presentation of a gift from Kay WalkingStick.  Nora Naranjo-Morse was commissioned to compose and read an original poem to mark the occasion; she read with tremendous passion a new work entitled "The Vessel."  The audience was overwhelmed.

Kay WalkingStick equally astounded the attendees when she presented as a special gift her magnificent artist's book Talking Leaves to the Heard Museum for its Library and Archives.  Before making the presentation, she went through every page (or should I say, each canvas, since each leaf was a perfect union of art and text) and discussed the work.

I want to express my thanks to ALL the staff that helped.  To that end I would especially like to thank Lisa MacCollum, Bill Dambrova, Alissa Brostowicz, Judy Zimmet, Rebecca Stenholm, Jim Reynolds, Mary Ellen Pruenca, LaRee Bates, Diana Pardue, Pat Lemley, Steve Soave, Paul Jim, Richard Cantebury, Andy Juneau, Craig Smith, Darian Begay, and Frank Goodyear.

Ya Hooooo!

Mario Nick Klimiades
Library and Archives Manager
Heard Museum Library and Archives
2301 North Central Avenue
Phoenix, Arizona  85004-1323

(602) 252-8840
(602) 251-0228 (direct line)
(602) 252-9757 (fax)

"The Information Age is here, and with these technologies, our languages, traditions, and knowledge live"--George Baldwin (Osage/Kaw, Oklahoma), founder of American Indian Telecommunications.