Dear Ms. STahl,
I would very much like to have a copy of that list. The prints you describe are exactly the type we are collecting and cataloguing. As a matter of fact, our scholar theme for this year is Reproduction and Originals; the prints you're generously giving away would serve our visiting scholars.

In fact, if you wish, you can send the entire lot to us(?). We would be more than happy to cover shipping.

Louis Marchesano
Collections Curator of Visual Resources
The Getty Research Institute
Los Angeles, Ca.
90049
310 440 7592

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/16/00 11:26AM >>>
In 1988, the Smithsonian American Art Museum, acquired a large collection of poster-size images of American and European art.  The prints were submitted for copyright to Library of Congress fine art print companies and publishers between 1880 and 1913.  Since the museum collection is dedicated to American art, we are no longer interested in retaining the European art that is represented in this collection and are seeking a more appropriate home for the material. In all, 1,117 European artists are represented with 2,543 prints.

Upon request, a list of artists represented in the collection will be supplied, as well as a small sampling of digital images.

The images are offered free to an interested library, archive, or visual resource collection, who will be responsible for any shipping costs.

Joan Stahl
Administrator, Electronic Resources and Image Collections
Smithsonian American Art Museum
8th & G Streets NW
Washington, DC 20560-0210
tel.: (202) 357-1348