Colleagues,
What are your opinions/ what kinds of binding techniques do you use for
your circulating collections? Particularly I'm interested in cost-effective
methods while retaining the original as much as possible but  with
preservation in mind.

We use basically 3 techniques  (excluding archival paks
and special bindings):
1. Cover is color  photocopied and laminated on cover (orginal cover is
discarded)
(If you ask to keep the original cover in the binding it costs more so that
is discouraged)
We haven't done this long enough to see the long-term effects.
2. Original cover is detached from the book, laminated to cardboard
then  reattached to the text block.  This technique is the cheapest I
believe and doesn't
seem to last very long especially for very used books.  Also this
particular laminate
sheds eventually.
3. Buckram or plain binding is used - original cover is retained but the
bindings themselves
have absolutely no character visually and might discourage browsing, a
research
technique that is applied by many of our users. This seems to be the most
stable kind of binding, though I have noticed it varies depending on the
book.

I should mention that a good balance of visual/preservation technques could
prove impossible for us here at CMU since much less attention is given the
physical collections in order to make way for the 'digital library', so I
would probably not get support for anything that costs extra.

In any case, I'm interested in hearing the range of techniques you use.
Your comments will be appreciated.

Mo Dawley
Art and Drama Librarian
Carnegie Mellon University