Museum of Modern Art Library does not actively collect one-of-a-kind
artists' books even though we have a number in the collection.  (Many of
these unique titles were part of the Franklin Furnace Archive which we
acquired in 1993.)   Illustrated books and small edition books with prints
are collected by the Museum's curatorial department of Prints and
Illustrated Books.

In general The Museum of Modern Art Library collects artists' books that are
produced inexpensively in open (un-numbered) or large (e.g. 100 or more)
editions.  Many utilize photomechanical processes and have an affinity with
chapbooks or mass produced paperbacks.   Frequently the artists' books in
the Library's collection are the work of a single individual who integrates
verbal and visual components to convey a specific concept or idea.

Janis Ekdahl
Chief Librarian, Administration
Museum of Modern Art Library
11 West 53rd Street