Dear all,
Following on from Sarah's message regarding reclassification of Glasgow School of Art's Library, I too am interested in the debate and would like to receive responses also please. This relates to my project to consider classification of Manchester City Art Gallery's collection, currently unclassified.

In answer to her query about the suitability of Dewey, I recommend
    1.. the article entitled ARLIS and Dewey from the ARLIS News-sheet number 88, Jan/Feb 1991, where the problems of DDC versions up to and including 20 are concisely listed (and not much seems to have been resolved by version21)
    2.. Talking to the Arts Librarians Patti Collins and Jeannette Canavan here in Manchester - who have a clear view of the problems and issues around DDC and arts materials.
I would be most interested to hear about the advantages and disadvantages of using UDC and LC if anyone can help us in return.

If it is of any use to you, Sarah,  I can offer you a list I have produced of the relevant DDC 21 numbers, with subject headings,  which would apply to Manchester Gallery's stock if we were to convert it, from which you should be able to pick out those which apply to your collection.

Finally, on truncation of long numbers - again we do that here and it does cause problems if there is a lot of stock at a particular number. We have devised ways of getting round it - for more evaluation of this please contact our Arts Librarians.
I hope this helps.

Lilian Maitland,
Manchester Central Library,
St. Peter's Square,