The Menil Collection has a late 19th- early 20th-century mask consisting
of a black fabric hood (with appropriate openings for the facial
features) covered with hundreds of  tiny (less than one-inch) shiplapped
metal crucifixes as ex-votos.  The mask is accompanied by a foot-long,
Y-shaped "bib" of the same fabric, similarly adorned with the crosses.

A note from the French dealer from whom the piece was purchased in the
1960's states "Provenance unknown; perhaps Mexican Indian."

We're calling it a "death mask" although it's obviously not one in the
sense of being a facial record of a specific deceased person.

I've been unsuccessful so far in searching (mostly periodical)
literature for anything similar (although I did turn up a hilarious
title given to one 1995 essay on deathmasks:  Marina Warner's "The
Unbearable Likeness of Being" !!)

Before I tackle books and catalogues on Indian / Mexican masks, have any
of you encountered any similar imagery in your art history or
sociological experiences, or have a suggestion as to how I might
proceed?

Thanks in advance,

Phil Heagy
Menil Collection Library