Andrea:

We have a little computer lab (5 macs, 5 pcs) in the library that seems to
be occupied 24/7 at the moment. As a matter of self protection and the
desire to save our sanity, we provide basic help, e.g., show someone how to
cut and paste in Word if they've forgotten the key combo. We have a handout
with the six "most frequently asked questions" on it, things like: how to
print, how to format a disk, etc. Anything else is referred to computer tech
support. My feeling is this: we don't ask the computer techs to handle
library research questions, so we can't be expected to act as computer
techs. Also, if it's very busy at the circulation desk, e.g., in the 30
minute break between our AM and PM classes, we tell computer users with
these sorts of machine questions that they'll need to wait because library
questions take priority, the lab is around a blind corner from the circ
desk, and we simply can't be in two places at once. We do, however, offer
extended help if the question is related to use of one of our electronic
database subscriptions, as that is definitely library research and our core
function.

Still, it's a constant battle. Users don't/can't/won't differentiate between
software/hardware/research questions when they're working on those infernal
;-) machines, and people's expectations are astounding at times. My personal
best for this year: a young person asked me to teach them how to use Word on
the computer as "they'd not had time to learn it yet." Sheesh.

OK, you just have to figure out what you're comfortable with doing, how much
tech-savvy library help you have available, how techie you personally want
to become, and stand polite and firm. We've written our policy into our
manual, just in case anyone ever asks. It works most of the time.
Best wishes

Cathy Donaldson
Library director
Art Institute of Seattle