----------------------------Original message---------------------------- It is with great sadness that I let you know that my mother, Ilse Bernett, passed away on September 19, 2000. Along with her husband, Frederick, she founded F. A. Bernett Books, specializing in out-of-print and rare art and architecture books, in 1944. She was born and raised in Berlin. After attending the University of Heidelberg, Ilse received her PhD. from the University of Berlin in 1936. Her thesis is cited by britannica.com in the bibliography of the painter, Mantegna: "Ilse Blum. Andrea Mantegna und die Antike is a thorough analysis of the appearance of antique motifs in Mantegna's work with identification of his sources. There is some subsequent work on this aspect in English but none supplanting this." Leaving Berlin in the 30's, she went to Paris, where she worked in an art gallery and in 1938 married Frederick. In 1941, they arrived in New York and soon after, with both their backgrounds in art history, founded the firm. They were charter members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America and played active roles in the association for many years. Numbered among their friends were many booksellers both here and abroad. They made regular trips to Europe where they were able to combine their search for books with the pleasures of European travel. Ilse led a very active life outside the booktrade. In addition to my brother, Tim, she had two grandchildren. She loved to cook and entertained frequently. She read voraciously, loved music and was an avid concert and opera-goer. She traveled widely and enjoyed it all whether to Europe, the Western United States, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Wellfleet on Cape Cod where she loved to summer. By establishing this business, she gave me a wonderful opportunity for which I have always been grateful. She was a marvelous person in every way and I will miss her. Peter Bernett F. A. Bernett Inc. Boston, MA __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] Administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner at: [log in to unmask]