If you do instruction for art, architecture and/or design patrons this
email is directed to you.

I would like to put together a collection of "cases" describing
instruction sessions or courses, with a format inspired by the ACRL
publication *Teaching Information Retrieval and Evaluation Skills to
Education Students and Practitioners*. The publication would have examples
of classes and assignments aimed at various levels, and for a variety of
skills -- but all for art, architecture and design students. Each case
would include

*title of the class

*your name, title, institution

*an abstract

*description of the context (e.g. how long was the class, number of
students? for beginners?)

*Lesson objectives [of the assignment, of the class, whatever -- what you
were trying to accomplish]

*session or class description detailed enough to allow replication -- what
was supposed to happen, what did happen

*discussion -- what was learned (mainly by the instructor, but could also
be the student), what are the advantages and disadvantages of the approach
-- or its strengths and weaknesses. This to me is the key to making the
casebook worth the effort (both of compiling and of reading).

*what would you do differently [could be part of discussion or a separate
section]

*handouts and worksheets

These elements could be applied to a single class session or a credit
course. They could also be applied to a certain technique. For instance, I
use an evaluation technique with each session of my one-credit class that
I will describe as a case.

I anticipate there would be cases on teaching Art or Avery Index, on
general areas such as the online catalog but geared to art/arch, on
specific art/arch subjects such as finding building plans, on tutorials
like Susan Jurist's Artist Search, etc.  The table of contents is actually
pretty fluid at this point depending on what people might be interested in
writing about!

The cases need not be long. Maybe 500 - 2000 words?

If you are interested in contributing a case from your experience teaching
art and architecture and design students or would like to discuss the
possibility please get in touch with me. Also if you know of others I
should contact that might not be on the list I would appreciate it if you
would let me know.

Thanks, and hope to hear from you.  Jeanne