Dear colleagues,

Through a series of very odd coincidences, the Walters Art Gallery now has possession of a box of correspondence, dating from the turn of the 20th century, to and from New York art dealer E.F. Bonaventure.  There are about 200-300 letters, all still in their envelopes.  It appears to be almost all personal correspondence, not invoices or business letters.

The Walters family did do some business with Bonaventure (which is how we got the letters to start with), but there are only a few pieces of Walters correspondence in the collection that we would like to keep.  I told the owner of the letters that I would post a notice to this listserv, to see if any of you know of a library/archives who might be interested in these letters.  If the name Bonaventure rings a bell, and you know of an institution that would want these items, please contact me directly (not the list) and I'll give you more details.

Thanks!

Kathleen Stacey
Head Librarian
Walters Art Gallery