ARLIS-L members. We are in the final construction phase of our new art library and I have a couple of questions concerning library security and access to library facilities. I would especially like to get information from AICAD members though any comments are welcome.

1) Do you allow non-library college administration a master key to access library facilities after hours when there is no library supervision?

2) Do you allow the president of your university or college to have their own key and be capable of accessing the facility at their leisure after hours?

3) In the case of emergency need to access your library facility by police or fire who has access privileges if all the librarian are unavailable?

4) Do you allow maintenance staff to work in the library after hours or are they only allowed access while library staff are present?

5) Would you feel comfortable allowing non-certified security staff (i.e. ex-students) key access to the facility or would you prefer only the head of security to have such access?

6) Is your library facility alarmed to prevent unwanted/uncontroled access? If yes... who maintains control over alarm codes... the library staff or security staff? Is security provided the access codes for emergency access?

Any answers are appreciated and will help us support equitable decision making for the safety of our materials. Thanks in advance!

Robert Craddick

Robert Ray Craddick
Director of Library Services
Pacific Northwest College of Art Artists Athenaeum
Charles Voorhies Fine Art Library
1241 NW Johnson ST
Portland, OR 97209
U.S.A.