The project to automate the Walters Art Gallery and Baltimore Museum of Art catalogs through Johns Hopkins is moving along.  We have applied to various sources for funding.  We have received some and are waiting to hear about others.  All three intitutions are anxious to get started and we work very well together, so it's very exciting, even though we're very much in the beginning stages.

We'll be presenting a poster session about this project and other cooperative efforts in Baltimore at the ARLIS conference in LA in 2001.  Be sure to stop by when you're at the conference.  Also, in 2003, ARLIS will be in Baltimore, so we'll be sure to show off big time then!

Kathleen Stacey
Head Librarian, Walters Art Gallery
Baltimore, MD
Who did not consult with my colleagues before posting, so if I got something wrong, let me know!

>>> William Peniston <[log in to unmask]> 08/25 5:03 PM >>>
If I remember correctly, the Indianapolis Museum of Art is automating its
collection through the Indianapolis Public Library; the Baltimore Museum of
Art and the Walters Art Gallery are automating through Johns Hopkins; and
the Amos Carter Museum, the Kimball Art Museum, and the Modern Art Museum of
Fort Worth are automating through Texas Christian University. How are these
cooperative automation projects progressing? Are there other such projects
out there? I ask because The Newark Museum and the New Jersey Historical
Society have begun discussions with the Newark Public Library and Rutgers
University about the possibility of automating through one of them. What are
the advantages and disadvantages of cooperative automation projects. All
feedback would be greatly appreciated.
        Thanks.
William A. Peniston, Librarian, The Newark Museum, 49 Washington Street,
P.O. Box 540, Newark, NJ 07101; telephone: (973) 596-6625; fax: (973)
642-0459; email: [log in to unmask]