Rebecca,
You have very sharp eyes. The photo is about one year old.
Since we just computerized, I will keep the card catalog for about one year or so. Right now it functions mostly as furniture. We put one of the online computers on top of it to also demonstrate that this is the way to go.We can show  everybody who wants to use  the card catalog  how to do a more efficient search using the computer. After a year we will get rid of it.
I debated quite a while if I should keep  updated shelflist cards. You might have seen my question on the listserv some months ago.As you mentioned it is good to have them if the system is down.  Most of the respondents did without them after a few years. Since it was too expensive to keep them updated I decided against it. But we will keep the old shelflist cards that we received up to some months ago.
Yes, our MARC records also go into the local Public Library's system. So far so good. They have the HORIZON system which is a very good system. The Public Library has also excellent computer experts and technicians.
Best regards,
Ursula

Ursula Kolmstetter
Head Librarian, Stout Reference Library
Indianapolis Museum of Art
1200 West 38th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46208
USA
Tel.: 317-920-2662, ext. 225
Fax: 317-926-8931
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

>>> KIA library <[log in to unmask]> 08/28/00 04:08PM >>>
From a photo on your website it appears you may have retained your physical
card catalog as well? We have ours in our Workroom/Office which has proved
very valuable (when electronic systems are down, for verification of missing
or erroneous records). Our MARC records also went into the local
cooperative's online system. Did yours? Sincerely,
Rebecca D. Steel, Librarian
Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Library
314 South Park Street
Kalamazoo, MI  49007-5102