I would catalog your architectural project record books as individual
monographs.  I know this is tedious but think of these as the original
resources generated by your institution.  They are worthy of full records
because they represent the unique work of your institution, work that may be
invaluable if legal questions arise or if the institution gets further work
on the structure. The books will be much more easily accessible to your
architects who will want a fast, easy way to identify and find them.

If it is the classification number that is the problem, consider creating a
separate collection, and using an archival finding aid type numbering system
or an accession-based number.

This is just a general opinion based on very little understanding of your
particular situation.  You know better than anyone your public and your
collection so be brave and do what you think best. Good luck.

Meg Klinkow
Kenamore & Klinkow
archives and library consultants
700 N. East Ave.