I am interested in knowing which museums, libraries, or archives are not open
to the public at a physical site but provide access to their materials only
through a website. I guess they might be called "Really virtual."

There was a recent article in the Chicago Tribune (8/13/00, sec. 7:1,3,8.)
discussing virtual museums, those that do not have physical sites and whose
collections are all kept in storage.  The main body of the article was
devoted to a museum in Toledo, supported by a budget of only $17,000 per
year, that's website included extensive photos, oral histories, and text
(url: www.history.utoledo.edu/attic). The Smithsonian's on-line exhibibitions
site was also mentioned, although that institution obviously has a physical
presence (url: http://www.sil.si.edu/SILPbulications/Online-Exhibitions). The
Smithsonian website is devoted to listing online exhibits focusing on library
and archival materials, although some museum objects may be included.

I would like to create an informal list of museum collections that are only
publicly available through a website so that I can research the costs and
effectiveness of such.  This is sort of akin to our discussions last year
about "beautiful websites," a request that isn't urgent but opens some
provocative questions and definistions.  Your help will be very much
appreciated.

Please respond to me at either my email below or arlis-l. I'll happily
summarize what I learn for any who are interested.

Meg Klinkow
co-moderator, Museum Libraries Division, ARLIS/NA
Kenamore & Klinkow
Archives & Library consultants
700 N. East Ave.
Oak Park, IL 60302