Upon request, we keep reserves behind the circ counter for 1 week. We put a
yellow bookmark in the book. It includes name of requester and date. The
pile gets weeded ruthlessly each week as people forget their reserves all
the time. Nothing gets left in the stacks. Should that ever happen I'd
probably tell my shelvers to toss out the slip and reshelve the book.
Sometimes you've got to be cruel to be kind :-) Practically speaking, if you
put all these unofficial reserves in one place, at least your circ staff
would only have to look in one other place if another borrower can't find an
item listed as "in" but not on the shelf.

Cathy Donaldson
Library Director
Art Institute of Seattle