Hi, William:

The Atlanta College of Art and the High Museum of Art Libraries are
automating together this fall.  We are sister libraries under the Woodruff
Arts Center here in Atlanta and have worked cooperatively for years.  This
will be our most ambitious project, however.

Advantages:

1. Cost - Neither of us alone could afford the system and all the related
expense, but together we are cost sharing on a pro-rata basis calculated on
respective collection sizes.  We were also able to afford a slightly better
(and more expensive) system because of joint funding (Endeavor's Voyager).
Also, look into funding through the IMLS which is all in favor of joint
projects between museums and libraries.

2. Shared work and responsibility - Because there are two groups working on
this it means there are two sets of minds and hands working to the same goal
(there are only 3 professional librarians between us).

3. Complementary collections - Our strengths (larger art history section
plus studio related materials and more journals) are complemented by the
High's exhibitions catalogs and vertical files.  We both end up with access
to a broader range of materials at no expense.

4. One IS department - We're lucky as we have a centralized IS department
that is handling all the IS and server issues.  We don't have to worry about
getting one IS group to break through its firewalls for another IS group or
having two of them speaking to our supplier.

Disadvantages:
1. Disparate user groups and policies - The ACA has students and faculty and
is a lending library; the High deals with docents and curators and is a
limited circulation library.  We therefore have different types of user
policies and have to build more intricacy into the system specifications.

2. Finding common ground and coordinating policies - This hasn't been hugely
difficult, but there could be problems down the line if our libraries
diverge in their focus and clientele even more than they are already.
Compromises may mean that neither side gets exactly what each wants.

That's all I can think of right now. So far this has been a very good
experience (though we are in the early stages) and it certainly is cost
effective, given the price of new systems.  I recommend setting up an
automation team with one person as the head of it through whom all the info
and communication gets directed as well as a joint resolution committee for
disputes (we haven't used ours yet).  Also get it in writing - so each party
knows their responsibilities up front and is in agreement with the cost
allocation, decisionmaking process, etc.

Hope this is helpful to you.  If you want any other info or personal
experiences, please don't hesitate to e-mail me directly.

Moira Steven
Moira Steven, Head Librarian
Atlanta College of Art Library
1280 Peachtree Street N.E.