The following message is being forwarded from the NW Chapter listserv, on
behalf of the sender.

From: "Ginsberg, Rachel" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: cataloging query
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 07:55:50 -0700

I am the new librarian in a fairly large architectural firm and the
marketing department here has donated all the "Project books" to the
library to be cataloged.

My question is this:
Would it be better in the long run to catalog the books with one bib record
with a gazillion attatched item records? (call number NA1705K36 and cutter
for the project job title?) or would it be better to create a separate bib
record for all of them. (ugh...)

I am reluctant to do the latter, because then when people search the
catalog for full monographs by the firm they will come up with hundreds of
hits, when we really only have 4 or 5 books.

But if there is any reason that i am overlooking as to why these should be
treated as separate monographs, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rachel

Rachel Ginsberg
Librarian