Barbara,
Is it possible to have a space reserved behind the desk for this person's
books?  That way, the staff would know where the books were, and you would
encourage the person leaving books with notes to communicate directly what
he/she needs, thereby the demanding notes become in-person requests.  If you
don't have a little shelf space in the work area, is there a desk in the
study/library area where the person can put the books and staff make a sign
indicating these are "Reserved"?  Location shouldn't be a problem if you let
the person know this is your chief concern.  We have a small library here,
but these methods have worked well for us.  In any case, I would try to
encourage the person to communicate directly to the staff.

Molly Hutton
Chrysler Museum of Art