Dear Mr. Lane,

In my art history studies during the early 1990s, my professor stated that
the Mona Lisa was cropped on the sides, although I can't recall when or by
whom.  However, I do remember what she said was cropped.  Apparently there
were columns flanking the Mona Lisa, which had the effect of pushing Mona
into the middle ground, rather than the foreground.  So had they stayed, the
Mona Lisa would be quite a different picture.  My professor was named Ms.
Elizabeth Anderson and at the time she was the Educational Curator at the
Philadelphia Museum of Art.  I don't know if she is still working there or if
she has moved on or retired, but I suppose it would be worth a call to find
out the other information.

Gretchen Kriner
Graduate Student, Library Science
University of Pittsburgh