Dear Colleagues:

I have just received a wonderful opportunity.  The graduate Ta in charge
of our usual orientation session to new grad students has invited me to do
two sessions with the new students this year.  First, the normal library
tour (how to find things in our closed stacks, circ rules and regs, carrel
policy, etc.).

The next day, I wil do a session on "the Library As a Teaching Tool."
(Prior to that one grad student will discuss our building's architecture
(a Renaissance-style cloister), another will discuss the cloister with
facsimiles of life-sized medieval and renaissance frescoes, panel
paintings).

Then I will do a presentation on "The Library as a Teaching Tool."  So
far, I am thinking of introducing the new students to the following that
can be sued as teaching tools:  our collection of facsimiles of japanese
scroll paintings, our collection of facsimiles of illuminated manuscripts
(with propoer handling included, of course), other special items in our
rare book collection like our Kelmscott Chaucer in which I could do a
presentation to a group while I turn the pages, etc.  I think that a
session on proper book handling/preservation issues should be required for
ALL perspons that use a special collection like ours.  In addition, a few
words about exhibitions from the collection as a part of the Dept's
educational mission.  I will end with a bit about my role in library
instruction sessions for their classes.

My question to you colleagues is this.  Do any of you do this sort of
special presentation about your art libraries?  If so, what kinds of
things do you include?  Any other ideas are most welcome.  I will be happy
to post a list of answers.  Thanks in advance for any ideas you can share
with me.

Ray Anne

                                Ray Anne Lockard
                         Head, Frick Fine Arts Library
                           University Library System
                            University of Pittsburgh
                             Pittsburgh, PA  15260
                              Voice:  412-648-2410
                                Fax:  412-648-7568
                          E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

                A book should be a ball of light in one's hands.
                                   Ezra Pound