Dear colleagues:

The Department taught a grad seminar this past Spring Semester on Andy
Warhol and the students used the Warhol Museum archives for their
research.  One of the students, also a long-time artist, did an art
prorject as well as his written paper.  I worked with him so that the
class could re-create Leonardo's "The Last Supper" a la Andy Warhol's "The
Last Supper Series."  The Milan show in which Warhol's "The last Supper
Series" was exhibited was the artist's last.  It was during the opening of
the show that Warhol became ill, was flown to NYC, had gall bladder
surgery, and died.

You can, if interested, read a brief article that I wrote about our
experience in re-creating "The last Supper" a la Warhol in the Reading
Room of our library the last week of April.  Coincidentally, I realized
the next day that we had done our re-creation on Maundy Thursday!

The course's professor played the role of Christ, the teacher!  He was
Kirk Savage that you heard speak at the Pgh conference if you attended the
Warhol Session.  The twelve grad students in the class played the twelve
disciples.  I was stage manager, arranging people in poses while looking
at a reproduction of Leonardo's famous work.

The artist created his own series of hundreds of "Last Suppers" using his
digital camera and manipulating colors and overlays.  I think Andy would
have loved it!

Here is the url with instructions:

www.library.pitt.edu:8000 (the Behind the Scenes Page for Library Staff)

Go to the NEWS section
and then find PUBLICATIONS
and then locate ULS NEWS
and then click on May 2000.

The article appears on pages 6, 14-15.

Enjoy!  Ray Anne

                                Ray Anne Lockard
                         Head, Frick Fine Arts Library
                           University Library System
                            University of Pittsburgh
                             Pittsburgh, PA  15260
                              Voice:  412-648-2410
                                Fax:  412-648-7568
                          E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

                A book should be a ball of light in one's hands.
                                   Ezra Pound