apropos picture postcards, check out the "Historic Picture
Postcard Collection,"
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/fine-arts/postcards.html

to see our early attempts at providing online access to
this splendid -- and usually overlooked -- type of visual
documentation.
This collection exists despite library administrative
signals to throw it away.

-- jack

* * * * * * * *
Jack Robertson.  Fine Arts Librarian
Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library
University of Virginia
(804) 924-6601
www.lib.virginia.edu/fine-arts/

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000 16:39:30 EDT Maryly Snow
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I find it very heartening to learn of the various Picture Files
> that are still active.  Many administrators chose to close theirs
> down, believing them either old-fashioned or not cost-effective.
> They are one of my absolute favorite things in libraries. I think
> they are very useful, as there really aren't any online or print
> counterparts. Postcard files should be included in this discussion.
>
> It might be interesting to have a conference session on Picture
> Files. Someone could try to make a case for closing them down (not
> adding to them) or eliminating them altogether. Someone else
> could make a case for continuing to add to them. Collecting and
> comparing the subject categories, even in a spreadsheet, could
> reveal similarities and differences. Someone else could talk
> about taking a Picture File online (surely someone is considering or
> doing this).
> --
> Maryly Snow ~ Librarian ~ Architecture Slide Library
> 492 Wurster Hall - South Tower
> University of California, Berkeley 94720-1800
> Tel: (510) 642-3439 Fax: (510) 642-8655
> mailto:[log in to unmask]
> http://arch.ced.berkeley.edu/resources/archslides.htm
> http://www.snowstudios.com