----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Hello, This question goes out to those of you who are involved in instruction. I am at a visual and performing arts college and lately have been thinking a lot about outreach, especially to those who are not in the habit of using the library (a significant number of students, I believe). Students here don't do "research" per se, they use the library in those idiosyncratic ways that artists do...lots of looking for images, looking for materials that are required reading (e.g. reserve books), and maybe researching artists or movements they've heard of. I want to do a drop-in workshop this fall around the theme "Using the Library for Inspiration" to get to the non-library users, and I'm looking for ideas. Most of what I can think of is for visual artists. Pictures, current events/news, and artists and movements are at the top of my list. I am turning to ARLIS-L for the experience of other instruction librarians in art school settings -- what other resources do your students use for inspiration? In a sense, the answer could be "anything under the sun", but can you zero in on any particular library resources? Also, how does this idea, of using the library for inspiration, extend to students in the performing arts? Dance and Music may be a little too challenging, so I would settle for ideas for Theater students. If this topic excites you or if you "been there, done that", please reply to me off-list. Thank you in advance. We don't have any classes in session during the summer, and you can see that my brain is turning to mush from weeding the reference collection. Coco Halverson Reference Coordinator and Instruction Librarian California Institute of the Arts 24700 McBean Pkwy. Valencia, CA 91355 (661) 291-3024 voice (661) 254-4561 fax [log in to unmask] __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] Administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner at: [log in to unmask]