Hi Stan
We have 6 xray sized vertical files of pictures which, for want of a
better title, we call the UBC Picture File. The pictures are from here and
there, being from discarded books, old or duplicate journals, exhibition
notices, book list illustrations and from suitable book jackets.
We replenish the file as time permits, but fairly consistently.
Most of this work is done by student assistants, who also do the filing.
We do not purchase any material (book or otherwise) for this file.
The pictures are cut or trimmed, information transcribed onto the back,
labelled and put into envelopes (large) on which is labelled either the
name of the artist or the subject heading. We get the subject headings
from the Art Index.
The pictures in this file are available for browsing (unlocked
drawers) and can be borrowed for a month and renewed as needed. We simply
count the number of pictures when they circulate and these are tucked into
another envelope with the due date stamped on it.
We have 12 other numbered, mounted and inventoried picture collections,
such as the Carnegie Collection. These are currently listed by artist,
title and subject matter in a card catalogue. We are planning to list the
inventory online on our webpage. Currently the picture collection has a
descriptive paragraph and one image scanned in. Eventually, given
copyright clearance, we would like to scan all the images of the numbered
picture collections online. This would not be the UBC picture file,
however.
Hope this answers your questions.
bye for now
Diana E.M. Cooper                 604-822-3943
Fine Arts Reference Librarian
Fine Arts Library
University of British Columbia
1956 Main Mall                        [log in to unmask]