Alex:  Please do summarize.  I have been getting a lot of requests to install a
public-use scanner as well.  thanks!  Ray Anne

alex ross wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> We're thinking seriously of establishing a self-service scanning operation
> in the Stanford Art Library in response to user demand.  We checked the
> ARLIS-L archives for past discussions of art library scanning and found an
> especially useful exchange from 11/98 in which seven or eight people
> responded to Ann Lindell's request for info.  Most of the scanning set-ups
> described in that exchange were similar in their simplicity and the limited
> options that they provided to clientele--the idea being to encourage users
> to do a scan on the art library equipment and then take the image away via
> a zip disk, e.g., and manipulate it somewhere else--like the campus
> computer center, where more sophisticated hardware and trained assistance
> would be available.
>
> Most respondents to Ann's query reported having the following:
>
> *  Mac workstation
> *  Flatbed scanner, like an HP Scanjet
> *  Zip drive
> *  Photoshop (often an older version)
> * Usually access to the campus computer network so that images could also
> be mailed
> * Sometimes a b & w or color printer
> *  Sometimes a slide scanner
> *  Sometimes a time limit per session
>
> We wonder if this kind of configuration is still the norm?  Have any really
> terrific but economical scanners come on the market since late '98 that
> anyone would recommend?  How about scanning size?  (Someone here has
> recommended that we get a scanner with an 11 x 17-inch capacity, but
> scanners with that kind of capacity seem always to be the high-end,
> expensive ones.)
>
> Would people who provide this service be willing to try to estimate how
> much time (both professional and support-staff) per typical week is spent
> assisting patrons?  Is the scanning service usually charged for?
>
> Please respond to me or the list, and I'll try to summarize later.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex Ross
> Stanford Art Library

Ray Anne Lockard, Head Librarian
Frick Fine Arts Library
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Voice:  412-648-2411
Fax:  412-648-7568
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

"A book should be a ball of light in one's hands."
Ezra Pound