------------------
As Los Angeles local arrangements co-chair, I had the pleasure of reading =
the
useful and informative comments of 142 attendees who completed the =
Pittsburgh
Conference Evaluation.

Overall the Pittsburgh conference was a success. Congratulations to the
Pittsburgh Committee are richly deserved for their planning and execution of=
truly fine conference. The evaluations indicate that ARLIS is a thoughtful =
and
vocal group, which anticipates and appreciates the annual conference, while =
at
the same time has very high expectations for high quality at the minimum =
cost.
As outgoing treasurer, Kitty Chibnik said at the Membership Meeting, the
organization has champagne tastes and a beer budget=21 In Los Angeles we'll =
need
to balance members wants and desires with the reality of our budget.

For a quick summary, I offer the following notes:
Best workshop: They Never Covered This in Library School: Ancient Art =26
Archaeology Resources
Best sessions: Fashioning a New World, Kaufman =26 Wright in Pittsburgh=3B
                              Andy Warhol Time Capsule
Best askARLIS: Artists Books as Teaching Tools
                                 Art Librarian in the 21st Century

Events: Everyone loved them, especially the Ars Libri reception at the =
Carnegie.
                Most want a shorter Convocation.
                 100=25 of the attendees went to at least one of the seven =
events.
Most went to all.

Tours: Fallingwater was a huge success, even at the =24125 price.
              60=25 of attendees took a tour. Those who didn't cited cost =
and/or
lack of time.
               Highest rated recommendations for LA: Getty, Gamble House,
Huntington, LACMA, Norton                      Simon

Hotel: 90=25 stayed in the hotel. 15=25 wanted a cheaper hotel (in Los =
Angeles the
Wilshire Grand will be =24139, the Pittsburgh Hilton was =24143)

Internet Room: 40=25 used it, 60=25 did not.

Exhibits: 100=25 visited the exhibits.
                  Many appreciated the generosity of the vendor's funding of
events

Conference Literature: received mixed reviews. Many wanted program summaries=
 and
the restaurant guide posted on the web PRE-conference.

Most useful aspects of conference: Sessions, Networking, Exhibits, Tours

What didn't work: Conflicting sessions and events
                                   Sessions too basic
                                    No discussion at the Membership Meeting

Suggestions for LA: Keep Silent Auction
                                        No conflicts
                                         Shorter Convocation
                                         Meal breaks
                                         More food and wine=21=21=21

Overall conference rating: Very Good.

Thanks to all who completed the evaluation. We appreciate your comments and
suggestions for making the Los Angeles conference as successful as =
Pittsburgh.

Susan Flanagan
Getty Research Library
t 301.440.7488