Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- **CAA proposal deadlines: near and farther** For those ARLIS/NA members who are also members of our affiliated society, the College Art Association, I wanted to notice two impending deadlines. Both refer to oppor- tunities for participation in the 89th annual College Art Association Conference to be held in Chicago, February 28-March 3, 2001. First is the May 15 deadline for proposals to participate in sessions already defined. You may recall that last Fall was the call to propose session topics. Now, the chairs of the accepted sessions are soliciting proposals from prospective speakers. A list of the sessions, as well as guidelines for proposals, can be accessed at: http://www.collegeart.org/caa/conference/2001/index.html Although the deadline is close, the initial submission is a preliminary abstract of 1 to 2 pages, double-spaced. From those submissions, chairs will accept/reject applicants by June 19. Abstracts of papers are not due to the chairs until September 1, and full texts of papers are due December 4. I encourage you to submit a proposal if you can contribute to any of the sessions. Take a look, for example, at: "The Function of Criticism: Artist's Books" (chaired by Johanna Drucker). Or perhaps--"Following the Archival Turn: Photography, the Museum, and the Archive" (chaired by Cheryl Simon). CAA is trying to encourage greater interchange among the art-related academic professions. This would be a good time for art librarians to claim a larger presence. With that in mind, I'd like to describe a second option available to ARLIS for participation in the CAA conference. Our decision deadline for this option is July 21. As background for understanding CAA and the size and structure of its conference, let me give you a few statistics: Currently CAA has 14,000 individual and 2,000 institutional members. Attendance at the most recent conference in New York City was approximately 6,000. There were nearly 160 sessions scheduled, excluding meetings and receptions, with 180 session chairs and 800 speakers/discussants--all within a four-day period! The majority of the sessions are 2-l/2 hours each and are vetted through the Annual Conference Committee. (The May 15 deadline above is for proposals to participate in these 2-l/2 hours sessions.) However, and I'm finally getting to the point, CAA sets aside certain 1-1/2 hour session periods for "Special Sessions" and/or business meetings of its affiliated societies. ARLIS/NA, as an affiliated society, may request such session(s). We have, at no charge, the use of a room and basic set-up (including two slide projectors and screens, and two microphones). We will be listed in the conference preliminary program. We are encouraged to submit session statements and abstracts of papers to be included in "Abstracts 2001"--the conference publication. However, we must make a formal request by July 21 if we intend to take advantage of this invitation. So, what do you suggest, ARLIS-colleagues? This seems to be an excellent opportunity. I have questions on two levels, however. First, and most crucially, does anyone have an idea or proposal for an appropriate session? Without a session plan, we don't need to debate much further. However, my second question is to ask whether ARLIS needs a mechanism to select and/or ratify the session as a representation of our organization. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Perhaps someone with longer ARLIS/NA experience than I have can comment about past procedure. But in the meantime, please be thinking of session proposals! Regards, Linda Duychak ARLIS/NA-CAA liaison [log in to unmask] __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] Administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner at: [log in to unmask]