Dear Pat:

Although I sympathize with your situation, I can tell you that it is
considered unethical for museums or museum libraries to put any value (nil or
otherwise) on any objects brought in by patrons.  Although a public library
would not have the same potential conflict of interest as a museum library, I
would think that, still,  it would not be appropriate to even estimate value,
as appraising is a complex skill and surprises abound (as the Antiques Road
Show proves every week).  Providing information about the type of work in
printed sources is appropriate, of course, or recommending that the patron
contact an auction gallery (sometimes they offer free clinic days) or a
dealer in the particular type of work in hand.  I'm sure you also have books
available in your collection on appraisals and on the auction process.  But I
would want to make it clear that the patron will have to do the research
themselves; that it is not within your field of expertise, as a librarian, to
judge value.  (Even though, privately, you may be sure you are right!)

Joan Benedetti