hi, In Australia (  party to an international copyright treaty), if an
artist is living ( or he/she has been dead less than 50 years)  he/she or
his/her estate still owns copyright to the original artwork and any
reproductions of the artwork, unless they sign over copyright to the
gallery/owner who has purchased the work. If an artwork is commissioned,
the commissioner owns copyright, or if the artist is employed to create art
works, the employer owns copyright. Individual agreements transcend
copyright law.

Copyright Law in
                                           Australia

                                         A Short Guide

                                          January 2000 ( Attorney General's
Dept)
http://law.gov.au/publications/copyrightaus99.htm#anchor352628 (25/05/2000)

>On Tue, 23 May 2000, Felicia Reilly wrote:

"Nobody can become perfect by merely ceasing to act"
BHAGAVAD - GITA

Jennifer Brasher
Reference Librarian
QCA Image (Slide/Digital) Library Supervisor

Information Services
Griffith University Library
Queensland College of Art Library
Griffith University