Driving instructions for ARLIS/Midstates Meeting May 5:

Plan 2 1/2 hours driving time after reching I-90.  These directions
assume that the drive can get onto I-90 West/Kennedy Expressway West.
Take exit 43B on the left, towards O'Hare/Rockford.  Take I-90 west
toward Rockford/Milwaukee and keep in mind that your are NOT going to
Milwaukee I-294 north.  Merge onto I-90 west/northwest to Rockford,
Beloit, etc.  Continue on, past the John Nolan exit (263) and exit right
onto Park Street.  Go north about three miles, past the hospital on the
left, past the Regent Street intersection, under the train bridge, past
the Dayton Street intersection to the next intersection, Johnson Street.
Now.  Decisions.

A.  If you want to go directly to a parking ramp and Elvehjem Museum of
Art, get into the right turn lane, tulrn right on Johnson Street.  Get
into the left lane for one block, turn left, north, ontoLake Street,.
Get into the right lane; cross University Avenue, observing the stop/go
light, go half a block and turn right into the Lake Street Parking Ramp.
About $5.00 for the day.
Pay as you exit.  Walk west one block, bisected by an alley, to the
Elvehjem.  Registration is in the Hagen Room, to the left, or you ask a
guard.  Restrooms are on the other side of the courtyard, to the left.

B.  If you want to go to the Howard Johnson Hotel, use the Johnson
Street right turn route, but stay in the right lane.  Go three blocks,
and there it will be on the right.

C.  If you want to go to the University Inn, use the Johnson Street
right turn route, but move to the left lane (as in A) and go two blocks,
turning left onto Frances Street.  Then, cross University, and a half
block farther on Frances  is the Inn and its parking lot.

D.  If you want the other two hotels, do not turn onto Johnson Street.
Stay in the midle lane of Park Street.  Cross Universtiy Avenue (the
Elbehjem is second building on the right), going two blocks farther on
Park Street.  Turn right on Langdon Street (the only turn option), and
go two blocks to the Madison Inn.  For Inn on the Park, go to the end of
Langdon Street, turn right as it intersects Wisconsin Avenue.  Go to
Capitol Square (the end of Wisconsin Avenue), and turn right (one way)
and drive to the next side of the square.  At the far end is the INN.
Even at this early season, the Farmer's Market, which open at 6 a.m.,
has great possibilities.  You can munch breakfast there as you walk.
Victor Allen's coffeehouse is at the other end of your block.  The
excellent goat cheese from Fantome Farm is under the umbrella across
from the Inn.

FOR DIRECTIONAL HELP, CALL  608/  862-1010.  Bill and Gordie screen
thier answering machine, so speak out.

(Following is the previous ALIS/Midstates message, with registration,
schedule, parking, and lodging information.)