I think this is an excellent idea and encourage you to pursue it for ARLIS
2001.

Cristine C. Rom, Gund Library Director, Cleveland Institute of Art

Amanda Bowen wrote:

> Dear colleagues:
>
> At our meeting in Pittsburgh, the Collection Development Committee
> discussed the possibility of forming a collection development discussion
> group as an annual session to be held every year beginning in Los Angeles.
> Committee members have enjoyed the very limited conversations about
> practical collecting matters, but realize these topics are potentially of
> interest to a much larger audience.  We propose a session where we could
> discuss publishing trends, vendor performance and recommendations for
> suppliers of specialized materials, among other topics.  We would also like
> to devote part of each meeting to a dialogue with the vendors who attend
> the conference about services and areas of concern.  Ideally, this session
> would be held shortly before the exhibits open.
>
> The Conference Planning Committee may have reservations about yet another
> group desiring meeting space at the conference.  We feel however that this
> discussion session could offer just the sort of opportunity for
> face-to-face exchange that makes the conference worthwhile.  I would
> appreciate any comments you have about your interest in such a discussion
> session to be held at next year's conference.
>
> Thanks!
> Amanda Bowen
> Chair, Collection Development Committee

Cristine C. Rom, Library Director
Gund Library, Cleveland Institute of Art
11141 East Blvd, Cleveland, Ohio 44106
(216) 421-7440;   (216) 421-7439 [fax]