Apologies for cross posting...
I have received the following query from an academic and have been
unable to find the relevant information. I have gone to the Library
source used by the academic and used the Biographical Index contained
within as well as followed the directions listed below.
Can anyone assist?
Regards
Chrissy
Chrissy Ralston
Faculty Librarian - Creative Arts
University of Wollongong Library
University of Wollongong
Northfields Ave
Wollongong NSW Australia  2522
Ph: 02 42 214867
Mailto:[log in to unmask]

"According to Bieber's "History of the Greek and Roman Theater" Princeton
University Press '61 LofC 60-9367, p.179 of which I have a private copy
..... a Pliny letter XIX,23 should refer to Quintus Lutatius Catalus
(Catulus) as the devisor of the'velarium', a shading cover over a
theatre.   However our Library copy of Pliny [876.01/PLI/1A&B] letter
XIX talks about use of slaves with Trajan!!!!!!

I've found a 'virtual' copy of Pliny on the WWW but the search engine
there gave me only one Catalus and it's not this fellow either!

I have been told that Bieber's references can sometimes be suspect [?]
but it happens again in a second reference by Bieber to Pliny regarding
the velarium in the Colosseum being painted.

I can't belive that Bieber is that suspect!........so it must be me not
understanding Pliny.   Is there a colleague of yours expert on ancient
Roman texts who might be able to assist a struggling creative artist to
be more academic?