Jeff and colleagues,
an interesting  sidelight of libraries' efforts to
shelve together all  materials on individual artists is
that, due to reliance on bibliographic utilities and copy
cataloging, I now have three dozen artist monographs in my
otherwise straight - LC collection classed in N 40.1
(the number used by the National Museum of American Art /
National Portrait Gallery).
The cataloging is good, but the "browsability" of the
stacks is affected.  (of course, "straight - LC" is pretty
unbrowsable, too!).

-- jack

* * * * * * * *
Jack Robertson.  Fine Arts Librarian
Fiske Kimball Fine Arts Library
University of Virginia
(804) 924-6601
www.lib.virginia.edu/fine-arts/

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:13:46 EST Jeff Weidman
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The Spencer Art Reference Library of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
> arranges artist monographs by artist in the stacks.
>
> We have developed an internal mechanism by which to do this, and we are in
> the process of refining it.
>
> Do any other libraries out there arrange artist monographs in this way?   If
> so, please contact us.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Dr. Jeffrey Weidman
> Associate Librarian, Access Services & Collection Development
> Spencer Art Reference Library
> Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
> 4525 Oak Street
> Kansas City, MO  64111-1873