Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. ----------------------------Original message---------------------------- Dear colleagues, I've read with interest the exchange Dana Beth initiated recently on JSTOR and core art history journals. Dana asked for thoughts about criteria for selection in this arena. My understanding is that our colleagues at JSTOR take several things into consideration in identifying journals to digitize: centrality of the journal to the discipline, demonstrated over many decades; publication history; number of library subscribers and holding institutions; relationship to professional/scholarly organizations; likelihood of the publisher's readiness to collaborate; recommendations of scholars and librarians in the field; technical challenges; existence of indexing utilities; etc. The focus upon journals with a long publication history responds, I think, to at least two key considerations: it enhances the likelihood that the journal in question is of abiding, demonstrable value, and it also addresses what has been a key element of the JSTOR logic from the inception: providing libraries with an opportunity to reduce their investment of capital in housing long journal runs by providing digital versions of core journals. Two years ago (almost to the day!), JSTOR distributed a survey to solicit thoughts about fields that might be tackled in Phase II of the project. After the 1998 ALA meeting, a preliminary update was published (see http://www.jstor.org/support/1998announce.html#980903 ). And after the 1999 ALA meeting another update on Phase II was published. There we read that art history is indeed one of the half-dozen "discipline-specific collections" in the project's critical path now that Phase I is done (with no fewer than 117 titles digitized up to the rolling cutoff date) and the General Science Collection just now being launched (see the announcement at http://www.jstor.org/about/postphase1.html ). So it looks like we're in the queue! Perhaps we'll learn more at the upcoming ALA meeting, which will surely prompt another update on Phase II. Also a couple of years ago, JSTOR convened a small focus group of art historians and art librarians to talk informally about core art history journals. That preliminary discussion, which was wide ranging (even linguistically), revolved around the following titles, several of which turn up in the title lists recently shared on ARLIS-L: Art Bulletin, Burlington Magazine, Gazette des beaux-arts, but also J. of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, J. of the SAH, J. of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, and Zeitschrift fuer Kunstgeschichte; it was noted that one might also consider Art History, though much younger than the rest, as having earned the ranking of "core" and as singificantly comparable to Art Bulletin by virtue of its relationship to a scholarly body. It was clear even then that JSTOR was eager to receive guidance from folks in the field about candidate titles, priorities, etc., and the later survey makes this even more evident, so I'm sure they will be pleased to know what ARLIS/NA and individual ARLIS members recommend in this regard. Finally, my understanding is that art history poses singular challenges to JSTOR, not least because of the technical and legal issues surrounding the digitization of images. So I think it's all the more wonderful that our friends at JSTOR are prepared to investigate the possibilities seriously. Max Marmor Yale U. __________________________________________________________________ Mail submissions to [log in to unmask] Administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask] ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.uky.edu/archives/arlis-l.html Questions may be addressed to list owner at: [log in to unmask]