Dear colleagues:

At our meeting in Pittsburgh, the Collection Development Committee
discussed the possibility of forming a collection development discussion
group as an annual session to be held every year beginning in Los Angeles.
Committee members have enjoyed the very limited conversations about
practical collecting matters, but realize these topics are potentially of
interest to a much larger audience.  We propose a session where we could
discuss publishing trends, vendor performance and recommendations for
suppliers of specialized materials, among other topics.  We would also like
to devote part of each meeting to a dialogue with the vendors who attend
the conference about services and areas of concern.  Ideally, this session
would be held shortly before the exhibits open.

The Conference Planning Committee may have reservations about yet another
group desiring meeting space at the conference.  We feel however that this
discussion session could offer just the sort of opportunity for
face-to-face exchange that makes the conference worthwhile.  I would
appreciate any comments you have about your interest in such a discussion
session to be held at next year's conference.

Thanks!
Amanda Bowen
Chair, Collection Development Committee