I inherited a local "classification" scheme here at MoMA where artists are
arranged in A-Z sequence.  I have never understood how this facilitates
browsing, as I've never encountered a question such as, "I'd like to see all
of your books on artists whose last name begins with G."  If I ever did
encounter this question, I'd suggest the alphabetical arrangement of the
on-line catalog would provide the information easily enough.

On the other hand,  I have been asked if we can provide information about
our holdings on contemporary artists, and that suggests that there is merit
in Barbara's proposal.  But first,  since a book can only be in one spot on
the shelf, we have to ask whether this proposed arrangement is more useful
than the traditional classification by medium or by country.  As artists
become more
international and tend to work in more media, or more mixed-media, perhaps
some chronological arrangement would be more useful, but whichever one we
choose, we still won't really have the information we need.  We need to be
able to have access to many chronological periods: post-war artists,
artists working in the 1970s, artists of the 21st century, etc.  Rather than
trying to make the classification do what it can never do well, why don't we
assign subject headings that will allow for an approach to the chronological
coverage of the work, something that currently we do imprecisely (as in the
subdivision  20th century) or not at all, depending on the heading.  Why not
use decades, or specific date ranges: Art, American--1980-1989 or Art,
American--1972-1986?  Or better yet, use an existing field in MARC for "time
period of content" (045)  that would make it easy to code this information.

The problem is to get library system vendors to provide a searching
mechanism that would make these headings or codes useful.  For example, we
can code the cataloging for a book that discusses art produced from 1976 to
1998, no matter whether it is a general survey or a work about one artist,
but this information isn't useful if the search engine won't retrieve this
record when someone is searching for work done in the 1980s or specifically
in 1984.

And I don't have a solution to that ...

Daniel Starr - The Museum of Modern Art